When is it too late to start music lessons? Never. It is never too late to learn something new. To play and enjoy playing music you do not need to start at age 4. However, learning music as an adult is entirely different, and here’s why…
March 13th, 2019
1. Adults are more mature than children. They can understand music theory better in a shorter period of time.
2. Adults can have better muscle control compare to the children. Therefore, technical skills can be introduced earlier to them.
3. Most adults start learning an instrument because of their interest and passion. They understand their own goals and will try their best to achieve them. On the other hand, most children learn because of their parents. They may need some rewards and motivation to keep their interest on the instrument.
4. Adults have longer attention span compared to children. This enable them to spend longer time to practice and achieve their goals.
5. Adults are more self-disciplined and less dependent to teachers compared to children.
6. Children have better musical memory which enable them to develop better hearing and aural skills if they’re trained from young age.
7. Children are less self-conscious while playing the musical instrument. They have the advantage of using relaxed muscle in their playing. However, adults are always self-conscious which leads to tensed muscle which will affect their performance.
8. Children have more flexible fingers compared to adult.
This article is a re-post, with small modifications, of “8 Differences Between Adults And Children Learning Music” an article published on merriammusic.com by Evan Machattie.
Click here to visit the original content.