Learning to play the piano is neither easy nor difficult to do. From our experience, you need to have a basic understanding of the chords and playing techniques, be patient, and consistent. Nonetheless, many tips and hacks will make the process much more comfortable!
— January 21st, 2020
Below the top 10 tips for piano beginners:
- Try ear training
- Don’t hit the keys, instead let your hands glide over them softly, smoothly.
- Maintain a proper rhythm.
- Memorize the notes and chord structure of your music. Although it may be hard, it can genuinely simplify your playing.
- When playing, focus on accuracy and not speed
- Play sections separately; this will help you keep up with the variations in the chord structure of most pieces.
- Learn to sigh-read music.
- Find the appropriate music pieces to start your journey.
- Practice, practice, practice!
- Do not give. It will take a while, but you will get there in the end.
This article is a re-post, with small modifications, of “Top 10 Tips and Tricks For Piano Beginners” an article published on merriammusic.com by Benjamin Roussey.